Coming soon from Silver Empire: Urban-Fantasy.com – your one stop source for all things urban fantasy!
We’re looking for a few good contributors to our new blog! Applicants must be able and willing to provide regular blog posts on the following topics, all related to Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Fiction, or Supernatural Thrillers:
- Book reviews
- Movie reviews
- TV reviews
- Theory, critique and discussion
In return, Urban-Fantasy.com will provide the following to contributors:
- Complimentary Kindle Unlimited subscriptions at our expense.
- Free Advance Review Copies of all Silver Empire urban fantasy novels.
- Free Advance Review Copies from other urban fantasy authors, as we can get them (and we know a fair number of UF authors, so we can do this!)
- Review copies at our expense of major releases in UF, when we can’t get you advance releases
- A share of any ad revenue or Amazon Associates revenue generated by the site
Applicants should send a brief introduction of themselves including name, contact info, and what you love about the field, as well as a representative sample of your work, to russell at silver empire dot org.
Giovanni Figlia, head of Vatican security, doesn’t have an easy job cleaning up the mess that Sean A.P. Ryan left after stopping an international plot to bring down the Vatican. He’s got to deal with the remnants of old Soviet spy rings, a beautiful defector, and foreign agents of all stripes.
Then someone kidnapped the Pope.
Mercenaries, spies, beautiful women, international intrigue and ancient secrets – The Pius Trilogy has it all!
A Pius Legacy by Declan Finn picks up the story where we left off with A Pius Man and ratchets the action up to eleven. If you enjoyed the first book, you won’t want to miss the explosive sequel. And if you haven’t started the series yet, now is a great time – for the next 24 hours only you can dig in to A Pius Man for just $0.99!
As I’ve mentioned before, Silver Empire will be cranking up the production pipelines hard in 2018. Earlier this week I announced that we’re bringing on author Christopher Lansdown. Back in December I announced that we’re republishing Declan Finn’s urban fantasy Love at First Bite series – and that we have another, entirely original, urban fantasy series in the work from Mr. Finn that’s already making rapid progress.
Today I’d like to announce that Silver Empire is opening submissions wide for Urban Fantasy novels. Our submission requirements are loose, but we do have some guidelines:
- Minimum word count is 50,000 words. 60,000+ is preferable.
- Maximum word count is 120,000 words but 90,000 or below is preferable.
- While we will consider one-off novels, series with at least 5 books planned get a strong preference and will get priority. Bonus points if you’ve already written more than one book in the series. But please only send us the first book until/unless we ask for more.
- Although we will consider books targeted at women and/or with female protagonists, we are primarily focused at the moment on series with male leads aimed at men.
- “Supernatural thrillers” are perfectly acceptable.
- While we do plan to expand into the genre in the future, we are NOT accepting submissions for Paranormal Romance at this time. The genres (and reader expectations) are distinct, and for now we want to stay firmly on the UF/ST side. If your book is on the borderline we might consider it, but only if it’s clearly on the UF/ST side of the line.
- Manuscripts should be in Microsoft Word format (either DOC or DOCX is fine). We’re not overly worried about fonts, formatting, or a lot of “standard manuscript” BS. But make sure it’s legible. If we can’t read it, we won’t bother. Also, make sure the document has you’re name and contact info in it.
- Submissions should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- It will probably be at least 30 days before you hear back from us, but please give us at least 90 before you ask us for status.
And if you’re excited about this development, stick around. We’ve got another major project in the works for 2018. I can’t talk about that one just yet… but maybe I can drop a tiny hint.
Silver Empire is pleased to announce today that we’re expanding our author ranks and our 2018 book lineup by adding author Christopher Lansdown to our list. Christopher Lansdown is the author of the superhero novel Ordinary Superheroes and the sci-fi novel A Stitch In Space, both of which Silver Empire will be republishing later this year.
More immediately, however, we will be launching the first-run edition of his latest work, The Dean Died On Winter Break, in the very near future.This old-school mystery novel follows a pair of Franciscan monks, Brother Thomas and Brother Francis, who double as amateur detectives as they investigate the murder of Jack Floden, dean of the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences of Yalevard University.
We found the tale to be delightful, and we hope our readers will, too. Look for it in the early part of February, and please join us in welcoming Chris to the Silver Empire stable!
2017 was a good year here at the Newquist house. We accomplished quite a lot in many aspects of our lives.
On the publishing front:
- I published my first novel to quite good success for a first novel from an indie author.
- I also published the followup novella, also to good success.
- My next novel is more than 40% complete.
- Silver Empire tripled the number of novels we have in “print.”
- Silver Empire’s book sales rose by a whopping 474%
- Our page reads on Kindle Unlimited proved even more impressive, rising by a staggering 17,656%
In the world of the martial arts:
- Two of my students earned the rank of Nidan (2nd degree black belt)
- Eleven of my students earned the rank of Shodan (black belt)
- Our fifth annual Extra Life charity event was our biggest and best ever
On the general front:
- Blog traffic rose 105% despite rather light posting.
- My Twitter followers are up by at least 50%, but I can’t get an accurate count because Twitter is fubarred
Of course, all was not perfect this year.
- I lost a long time friend and martial arts mentor this year
- Blog posting was far lighter than promised. However, that was a strategic decision and not an accident.
- We’ve had one or two publishing projects from 2017 delayed
Still, it was a good year overall and 2018 promises to be even better. We’ve got some major Silver Empire announcements, the first coming tomorrow. We’ve got big things afoot at the dojo. And you ain’t seen nothing yet from the world of Peter Bishop!
I mentioned in a recent post that Silver Empire is getting into Urban Fantasy in a big, big way in 2018. Today I’m excited to share some details of our roadmap. I’m pleased to announce that we’ll be republishing Declan Finn‘s multiple Dragon Award nominated Love at First Bite series. For those of you who have already read the books, there won’t be much call to buy the new ones. We’re doing only the lightest of editing touches here. But we will be getting them all new covers and putting the marketing push behind them that these books deserve.
But wait, there’s more!
In addition to this excellent series, we’ve also commissioned Mr. Finn to create an entirely new Urban Fantasy series. We’re not ready to share the details on this just yet, except that I can say a few things. The book is set in New York, the city that Mr. Finn knows so well. It does have some of the religious elements his fans love so much. And it will proudly feature the insane action that we’ve all come to expect from Mr. Finn.
Also, the one-paragraph pitch that Mr. Finn gave me is the best book pitch I’ve ever heard. And the outline for book one more than lives up to that pitch. And… book one is already half done.
Expect this new series to go live right after we finish republishing Love At First Bite.
And remember… these are steps one and two of our foray into Urban Fantasy. Stay tuned. We’ll have more to come – some of it very soon!.
After modern day paladin Peter Bishop and his friend Michael defeated the dragon over the skies of Athens, Georgia, it fled to Europe – with Peter’s girlfriend Faith in tow. Well, she’s a girl. And she’s his friend. And her stunning beauty doesn’t hurt.
Now Peter and his friends have tracked the dragon to France, where it’s living under a church and terrorizing the village. Can they slay the dragon, save the village, and rescue the girl before dawn?
Or will a wayward priest destroy everything they’ve fought for?
The Dresden Files’ Michael Carpenter collides with Larry Correia’s Monster Hunter International in this supernatural high-octane thrill ride!
I’m pleased to announce that Vigil, the latest installment in the Urban Fantasy world of Peter Bishop, is now available – and so far it’s been quite well received. But don’t take my word for it. Read for yourself what others have said:
- Imagine if the 80’s cult classic Big Trouble in Little China was actually Big Trouble under an ancient French Cathedral, and based off of Christianity rather than Chinese Buddhism. Then stop imagining it and pick up this book because it is exactly as hilarious as it sounds. – Catholic Reads
- Vigil is one part action flick, one part horror, one part fantasy, and all-parts fun. – Alex
- The pace doesn’t let up once the action begins, and the splitting of the scenes works very well. The romance and relationships are well crafted. Love the dragon and the gargoyles as well. – Alfred
- Non-stop action and surprises throughout. – Jan
- I read a LOT of sci-fi and fantasy. It takes a really good story to grab my attention and to hold it. I could. not. put. this. down. It engaged from the beginning and kept me there wondering what was next. This is only the second Newquist book I have read so far but there will be lots more. – Shugharz
I’m particularly pleased that Catholic Reads picked up on the Big Trouble in Little China similarities, as I literally had that movie in mind while writing the story. If you have half as much fun reading it as I had writing it, then you’re in for a great time.
Vigil is only $0.99 on Amazon through this Saturday, so you’ll want to pick it up now. It’s also free for Kindle Unlimited subscribers. If you missed the last installment, War Demons is also only $0.99 or free on Kindle Unlimited through Thursday.
Recommended reading order:
I’d like to make an extra thank you to everyone who supported us this year for Extra Life 2017. This was our biggest and best year ever. Attendance was strong throughout the day and even overnight this year. We had more games than ever, and best of all we set an all time record by raising over $2200 to help sick kids!
There are several people who deserve a special mention this year for all of their help and hard work this year.
First of all, Kerry Jordan did a fantastic job of running down prize support. We had over $1500 worth of prizes donated by various game companies this year thanks to Kerry’s hard work! Kerry also took the lead on the numerous scheduled games we had this year, and did a wonderful job helping us organize it. The following companies and groups donated games and prizes this year:
- Rocket City Table Gamers | https://www.facebook.com/groups/rocketcitytablegamers/
- Cheapass Games | http://www.cheapass.com/
- Elderwood Academy | https://www.elderwoodacademy.com/
- Privateer Press | http://privateerpress.com/
- Level 99 Games | https://www.level99games.com/
- Gamescience | http://www.gamescience.com/
- Brotherwise Games | http://brotherwisegames.com/
- AAW Games | http://aawgames.com/
- QuantiTech | https://www.quantitech.com/
- Reaper Miniatures | https://www.reapermini.com/
- RAINN Studios | https://rainnstudios.com/
- Modiphius Entertainment | http://www.modiphius.com/
- Keymaster Games | http://keymastergames.com/
- Genius Games | https://www.geniusgames.org/
- Atlas Games | http://blog.atlas-games.com/
- Asmadi Games | http://asmadigames.com
- Red Raven Games | http://redravengames.squarespace.com/
- Steve Jackson Games | http://www.sjgames.com
- Cards Against Humanity | https://cardsagainsthumanity.com/
- Evil Hat Productions | https://www.evilhat.com/home/
- Wyrd Games | https://www.wyrd-games.net/
- Dog Might Games | http://www.dogmight.com/
- Grand Gamers Guild | https://grandgamersguild.com/
- Studio 6d6 | https://www.6d6studio.com/
- Weird Giraffe Games | http://weirdgiraffegames.com/
- Table Forged | https://www.tableforged.com/
- Asylum Comics | https://www.asylum-comics.com/
- Dark Star Games | https://www.facebook.com/darkstarmtg/
- Haven Comics, Etc. | https://www.facebook.com/Haven-Comics-Etc-111578735548161/
- JC’s House of Cards | https://www.facebook.com/Jcshouseofcards/
- The DeeP Comics & Games | https://www.facebook.com/deepcomics/
- Warhammer (Westbury Square) | https://www.facebook.com/WarhammerWestburySquare/
I’d also like to leave a special shout out to Rebecca Renfroe and her coworkers at QuantiTech. QuantiTech donated lunch, dinner, and – perhaps most importantly – coffee this year. And their generous donation still left us enough to add another $160 into our fundraising total.
Thanks again to Chris Shotts for once more loaning us the 10 foot projector screen, Andrew and Samantha Dubbel for bringing out their VR rigs again, Tim Hite for bringing the arcade cabinet, Sensei Brian for bringing more video games than I can count, Drew for running a fourteen hour Dungeons & Dragons game (that is not a typo!) and, of course to everyone who came out and played with us.
Thank you all again for making our fifth Extra Life event our best ever! If you want to pitch in, there’s still time to make a last minute donation. We hope to see you all next year!
We’ve been pretty quiet on the Silver Empire front for a while, but we’ve had a lot in the works. In the last sixty days, we’ve released War Demons, Lyonesse Volume 1, and Paragons. We’ve also put out audiobook versions of A Midsummer’s Party, The Cinder Witch, and The Witch’s Gift.
Well, I’m happy to tell you that we also have a lot more in the works!
First of all, our next anthology, Secret Stairs, is coming very soon! This one hit some delays because we got so many submissions. No joke, we got more submissions for that than we’ve received for every other anthology we’ve ever done. Combined. File that one under “great problems to have!” But has taken longer to finish than we’d planned. If you submitted to this anthology, please be patient with us. We’re still finalizing the list and will get back to everyone soon! We hope to have it out by the end of November. Worst case, it’ll be out in December. We’ve also got Vigil – the first follow-up to War Demons – due out in December, and Lyonesse Volume 2 will be on preorder by next week.
Think that’s a lot? You ain’t seen nothin’ yet.
In January, we’ve got Declan Finn’s A Pius Legacy coming, and we’ll be spitting out the rest of that series (A Pius Stand, Pius Tales, and A Pius History) each about 30 days apart after that.
We’ve also got another as-yet-unannounced novel due out in January, from a new Silver Empire author. I’m excited about this one, as it’s somewhat different than our other works – but in a great way. And we’re reaching out to another author as well, hoping to have his works hitting your digital bookshelf in February.
Of course, there’s also an audiobook of War Demons coming early in 2018.
Excited yet? There’s more!
S.D. McPhail is making great progress on the next Treasures of Dodrazeb book, and we hope to have that out next year. Fans of Paragons rejoice – we’ve got no less than three superhero novels on the calendar for next summer. Spirit Cooking, the sequel to both War Demons and Vigil, is on track for a spring 2018 release, and I’m currently aiming for the finale to that series, Sacrifices to be out by the end of 2018. Fans of Peter Bishop, ease your worry – when Sacrifices is done, I’ve got an entirely new series planned with those characters! Join the Order of the Sword and keep up with updates on all things Peter Bishop!
Did I say something about Urban Fantasy? Well, I can’t say much more yet. Except to expect some yuuuuge news from Silver Empire and Declan Finn next year on the UF front. Or was that two pieces of major news? Something old, something new, something bloody, something holy… Trust me, you won’t want to miss either of these!
But on top of that… well, that would be telling.
Strap in, folks. This ride is just getting started!