I’ve been struggling with my workouts for the last couple of years. After making a lot of progress for a while, I got kind of stagnant. My bench press especially got stuck for nearly two years at about 295lbs.
Right around the new year I was pointed at this post by Mike Cernovich, and it had some words I needed to hear.
There is no “I want.”
There is only “I will.”
Go read the whole post. Seriously. It’s probably his most important post. I’ll wait.
The thing is, it’s nothing I hadn’t heard before. It’s not even a mindset I’d never adopted before. But I’d lost it, and I just needed to hear the words again. From somebody. Anybody. And Mike was the one who happened to be saying it on the day I needed to hear it. So I began this year without New Year’s Resolutions but instead with a list of New Year’s “I WILL’s.” The very first item on the list: I WILL break 300lbs on the bench press in 2016.
Tonight I smashed it out of the park:
- 320 on the bench press (25lb or 8.5% increase over last record)
- 395 on the squat (50lb or 14.5% increase over last record)
- 425 on the deadlift (50lb or 13.3% increase and also broke the 400lb barrier).
There are guys out there who lift a hell of a lot more than that, so don’t mistake this for any kind of bragging. But those are respectable numbers. More importantly, they represent a break in the stagnation and the achievement of multiple personal goals tonight.
So tonight I’m putting out the thank you to Mike for giving me the words I needed to do it. Here’s to shattering many more personal records!
- Strength Training Works
- Fitness Reality 810XLT Super Max Power Cage – PRODUCT REVIEW
- My Best Day At The Gym Was The Day I Failed At Everything
- Writing a Page Turner – Part 1
- An Interview With Mike Cernovich – Part 3