2017 Dragon Award Nominations
- Best Science Fiction Novel – I’m going to have to go with The Secret Kings by Brian Niemeier. Its predecessor proved worthy of last year’s Dragon Award, and the third book in the series only ratchets everything up further. Solid book. Read my review of it here.
- Best Fantasy Novel – Hands down, A Sea of Skulls by Vox Day. I’ll have a review of this one up soonish, but this series continues to beat the pants off of A Song of Ice and Fire.
- Best Young Adult Novel – Rachel and the Many Splendored Dreamland by L. Jagi Lamplighter. This book actually turned a 13 year old girl (horrible creatures!) into a lovable character, and deserves the award for that alone. But it’s a fantastic book on top of that. See my review for more details.
- Best Military SF or Fantasy Novel – I’ve been too busy and haven’t read any this year. 🙁
- Best Alternate History Novel – I’m biased because I published it, but Treasures of Dodrazeb: The Origin Key by S.D. McPhail is the clear winner here.
- Best Apocalyptic Novel – No contest. A Place Outside the Wild by Dan Humphreys. Expect another review on this one in the near future.
- Best Horror Novel – Silver Empire author Declan Finn’s Live and Let Bite is the winner here. Thankfully, Brian Niemeier’s “The Secret Kings” is very clearly in SciFi this year and not horror, so I don’t have to choose between friends – or two fantastic books.
- Best Comic Book – Haven’t read any worth noting this year.
- Best Graphic Novel – Ditto.
- Best SciFi or Fantasy TV Series – All the ones I love went to crap this year. I’ve got nothing.
- Best SciFi or Fantasy Movie – I’m sadly going to have to go with Doctor Strange, but that’s a disappointing answer. I wouldn’t normally nominate it, but nothing else in the nomination period is really better. I hear Logan is good, but I haven’t seen it yet.
- Best SciFi or Fantasy PC or Console Game – Who has time for gaming anymore? Ditto for the rest of the gaming categories.
I put in my nominations earlier today. Have you done yours yet? Nominate here!